Danone launches sustainable package for yogurt
France-based dairy products maker Danone has launched sustainable Ingeo Activia Yogurt Cup in the German market.
The new package, which uses 43% less fossil resources compared to the previous packaging, will improve the product's packaging carbon footprint by 25%, Danone said.
Danone said the new eco-friendly package has been developed in collaboration with WWF-Germany and Ingeo producer NatureWorks.
The firm said the switch to the technologically innovative material will represent 80% of the total volume of all Activia products in Germany. Danone has plans to expand the use of the Ingeo-based packaging for other products in the Activia line such as drinks, yogurt fruit puree that will account for the remaining 20%.
NatureWorks has estimated that the Activia pack will result in fossil energy savings equivalent to the electricity consumed per month by 13,000 German homes, along with greenhouse gas savings equivalent to not driving a vehicle 19,000,000 km.